1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Pastoral 2012

Watchnight Service

PrintE-mail

Over the years, I have noticed that some Christians disregard the Watchnight service. I guess their question would be, “Why should there be such a late night service?”

As your pastor, it is my duty to tell you why our church has such a service. Though I can cite that Christians traditionally hold such services everywhere to give thanks to God for all His goodness in the passing year and to seek the Lord’s blessings for the New Year that is dawning, there are many more good biblical reasons for such a service being held late into the night.

• The saints of God resolved in their hearts to meditate on God even in the late watches of the night. They would write of it, saying I “meditate on thee in the night watches” (Psalm 63:6); and “I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons” (Psalm 16:7). Meditating on God is always timely, whether it be day or night. “At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments” (Psalm 119:62).
  • Worshipping the Lord in the late hours of the night has been a joyful spiritual activity of godly men. In Psalm 42:8, the Lord’s servant says, “Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.” Likewise it is said in Isaiah 30:29, “Ye shall have a song, as in the night when a holy solemnity is kept; and gladness of heart, as when one goeth with a pipe to come into the mountain of the LORD, to the mighty One of Israel.” As for God’s saints, even a solemn assembly kept in the night is a delightful occasion wherein they would gladly come in to praise the Lord with songs. So we are exhorted in Psalm 92:1-2, “It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High: To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night.”
  • As for hearing, meditating on or preaching the Word, the saints of God would have no hesitation even if it is required of or offered to them in the late watches of the night. In Psalm 119:55, the psalmist testified, “I have remembered thy name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept thy law.” Again he said, “I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried: I hoped in thy word. Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word” (Psalm 119:147-148).
  • Saints of God were also accustomed to seeking the Lord and His blessings even in the wee hours of the night. Isaiah said, “With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early” (Isaiah 26:9). Similarly, the psalmist says, “My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning” (Psalm 130:6). Our Lord Jesus, who is our supreme pattern in all things, prayed all night long on many occasions. We read about Him in Luke 6:12, “And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.”

Considering the above Scriptural exhortations and examples, I would admonish everyone that it is not at all a godly attitude to forsake the watchnight service when all the saints of God in our church gather together. Will I see you tomorrow night in the presence of the Lord as we gather to seek His face with thankful hearts?

Please come ready with a short testimony to praise our God. There will be a time of testimony. May it be your joy to praise the Lord and to declare His goodness. See you tomorrow during the watchnight service.

Scripture Portions to Meditate on This Year End

Psalm 102:24&27

“I said, O my God, take me not away in the midst of my days: thy years are throughout all generations. But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.”

Psalm 103:17-19

“But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children’s children; To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them. The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.”

Psalm 61:7&8

“He shall abide before God for ever: O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him. So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows.”

Pastoral Exhortation