1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Pastoral 2012

Pastoral Letter

PrintE-mail

Dear brethren,

This will be my second Lord’s Day being absent from the church. In this regard, I am very miserable. Though I join you in worship through the live webcast, there is nothing like being in the midst of His people to worship our wonderful God. “For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand” (Psalm 84:10). “How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts! My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God. Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God” (Psalm 84:1–3).

I give thanks to God for all your prayers for me, and I am sure that the Lord will answer us and heal me of my infirmities. While I was recuperating from my jaw and periodontal surgery, I came down with a very distressing infection of both eyes that lasted about five days, and also a persistent cough and a painful throat. I am still not out of the woods. So I appreciate your prayers for my full recovery, and hope in the Lord to be with you the next Lord’s Day.

These illnesses that suddenly came upon me have disrupted several things that I wanted to do while recuperating from my surgery. I felt frustrated and disappointed. However, the Lord has given me the grace not to be downcast but to attempt the desires of my heart.

One of the things that I wanted to do was getting ready the music for a children’s DVD of ‘The Scripture in Song’. I thank God that despite much struggle, I was able to make some progress. If the Lord permits, I would like to complete it this coming week. I covet your prayers for me and for my daughter, Dorcas, who is helping me to compose the music this time.

The Scripture in Song, Volume II, DVD

Now I would also like to seek the co-operation of children and their parents in our midst for the upcoming audio and video recording of the children’s songs for the production of “The Scripture in Song, Vol. II” DVD. Should Sis Melissa Mah or Sis Chu Seong Yeng approach you to arrange for your children’s training and recording of songs, please give your cheerful support. If possible, we want to record all the songs before the year ends. Please pray for the successful completion of this project. Let us also pray that our children’s effort to sing the Scripture in song would help not only in their own spiritual growth but also to promote the Word of God wherever the DVD is distributed.

Like Paul, though my suffering is so small compared to his, I would like to say, “But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel” (Philippians 1:12).

The upcoming mission recce to Pangasinan

For the past 4 years, Preacher Dennis Kabingue and a team of Filipino brethren from our church have been reaching out to the northern part of the Philippines, especially to the town of San Fabian in the province of Pangasinan. This channel of Gospel outreach was made possible through some sisters who have been attending our worship and Filipino Fellowship. Sis Cecilia Batrina, who was saved under our ministry, has been working with Pr Dennis, Bro Donald and other Filipino brethren to reach out to her relatives and friends in Pangasinan.

For the last couple of years, these brethren have been urging me to visit Pangasinan and preach the Word as well as to consider the possibility of starting a mission outreach there. After seeking the Lord in prayer, I have decided to visit Pangasinan with Pr Dennis and Bro Donald, from 21st to 24th November. I have invited Rev Reggor Galarpe (Pastor of Gethsemane BPC, Cebu), and he will meet us at Clark Airport, north-west of Manila, and we will make our journey together to Pangasinan. We will be there for three days. Two night meetings have been arranged in Dagupan City. We also plan to do some visitation and evangelism.

Please pray for the Lord’s direction and help in this trip so that we may know His will as to whether we should start a mission station in this city or in any nearby area. I exhort you also to pray for Bro Donald dela Cruz, who is completing his theological studies in FEBC, that the Lord will direct him to the place of His choice to be a preacher of the Word.

Ordination of two elders in GBPC, Cebu

“That thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting... ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee” (Titus 1:5) was the instruction of the apostle Paul to Titus. We praise God that in obedience to the biblical imperative, Bro Richard Tiu and Bro Eliezer Ortega will be ordained as the elders of Gethsemane BPC in Cebu. We thank God that both men have been trained theologically in Far Eastern Bible College, and have also been a good testimony together with their families in our churches in the Philippines. They also have written excellent theological papers to ascertain their doctrinal positions. Rev Reggor and I have talked with their families, assessed their papers and found them to be ready for the office of elders in Gethsemane B-P Church, Cebu.

I will join Rev Reggor for their ordination on 25th November (Sunday), on my way back from Pangasinan. Preacher Dennis and Bro Donald will also be in Cebu church with us. May God prosper all our labour for His glory.

Affectionately,

Your Pastor

Pastoral Exhortation