1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Pastoral 2012

We Need Praying Men

PrintE-mail

When Gethsemane Men’s Fellowship meet together on 10th November (this coming Saturday) in the TGCM premises, the focus of the meeting will be “Praying Men”. GMF’s goal is to equip men in our church to be faithful men of God. We need faithful men because God has called men to be leaders both in our homes (1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 5:23) and in the church (1 Timothy 2:12, 13). Unfaithful men will bring unimaginable hurt to their family and the church. When men become unfaithful to God, they become bad spiritual leaders. Their unfaithfulness will wreck their spiritual and moral authority to lead those under their care. Bad leadership inevitably leads to serious consequences, for without faithful men, our homes and our church will suffer severe spiritual and moral degeneration.

The recent monthly meetings of GMF were dedicated to teaching and encouraging men to give leadership to daily family devotions. We studied from the Scriptures why there should be daily family devotions, and why men should lead them. We also had several sessions on how to conduct Bible devotions. More practical lessons are planned to help men draw truths from their daily Bible readings to teach their families.

However, in this coming meeting, the focus will be on the need for men to be prayerful. When a man in the leadership of a home or a church does not live a prayerful life, he is a powerless leader. Only men who are mighty in prayer will be mighty in spiritual leadership. So in 1 Timothy 2:8, the apostle Paul exhorted men saying, “I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.”

It is high time that we pay attention to being prayerful men. As leaders of the family and church, men should pray on their own and with their spouses and children. They must take leadership in bringing their family for church prayer meetings.

Men of faith are praying men. Men who depend upon God for spiritual wisdom and power to lead those under their care will pray without ceasing. Those who desire to be faithful in their God-given roles will be utterly dependent on God through prayer. They would hasten to the presence of God. They will be serious commitment to pray for their families as well as to pray with them. They will also count it their special joy and duty to be with people who gather together to pray.

So I exhort all men in our church to come together this coming Saturday to learn to be men of prayer, particularly in their homes. Though I would not be able to join you as I am convalescing at home, I have a message for you from God’s Word, which is video-recorded and will be played for you during the meeting. There will also be a prayer session after the message. Brothers, please encourage one another to attend GMF meetings regularly. We need to be strong in the Lord through His Word, prayer and fellowship that the Lord may bless our homes and our church.

Our Church Choirs

My prayer is that our church, Gethsemane B-P Church, will always be a singing church. May the glories of our great God be always beautifully rendered by our congregation and the choir. “Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness” (Psalm 30:4). When we come to the presence of our God, we must lift our souls to Him through psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. When Christ, our Saviour, is exalted in our songs, the souls that hear our songs shall be awakened and edified.

We read in the Scriptures that David gathered a wonderful group of singers to render praises to God in the house of the Lord (1 Chronicles 15:16-23). How wonderful is the biblical record that says, “And all the congregation worshipped, and the singers sang, and the trumpeters sounded: and all this continued until the burnt offering was finished” (2 Chronicles 29:28).

For the past five years, Preacher Dennis Kabingue has led the church choir (Voices of Gethsemane) to sing praises to our God of salvation and truth during the Reformation. The choir members had given their very best to declare the “Five Solas” of the Reformation through their rendition of songs. They had praised God upholding these great biblical truths – Solus Christus (Christ Alone), Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone), Sola Gratia (Grace Alone), Sola Fide (Faith Alone) and Soli Deo Gloria (The Glory of God Alone).

We thank God also for the singing by the children’s choir and the youth choir during the Reformation Cantata. The Lord is most pleased to receive glory, honour and praise from youths and little children. At this juncture, I would like to commend Sis Stefanie Wong, Sis Melissa Mah and Sis Chu Seong Yeng who have laboured much in training the children. Parents, bring your children to the children’s choir and children’s ministry that they may be instructed at a young age to praise the Lord. As Jesus said in Matthew 19:14, “Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”

We also deeply appreciate all the brethren who laboured behind the scenes during the Reformation Cantata. The Lord knows all who joyfully rendered their help - the PA crew, the video crew, the stage team, the refreshment team, the ushers, etc. We thank God that many of our brethren rendered their God-given talents for the declaration of the Gospel truth and for His glory. May the spirit of joyful service for our Lord always characterise our church and all its ministries.

Pastoral Exhortation