1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Pastoral 2012

Unmasking The Dangers Of Worldliness - Part I

PrintE-mail

Worldliness gives rise to severe spiritual dangers, which no Christian should consider trivial. Three specific spiritual dangers are mentioned by the apostle in 1 John 2:15-17.

Worldliness excludes the love of the Father

John said, “If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him” (v. 15b). In other words, no one can love the world and God at the same time. Love for the world is a hindrance to genuine devotion to God. While love for the world pushes out love for God, love for God pushes out love for the world. Let us take note that love for the world cannot coexist with love for God.

Jesus warned, “No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon” (Matthew 6:24). When love for the world increases, love for God dwindles. No human heart can hold these two opposing loves together. To pledge allegiance to one side is to declare opposition to the other.

As soon as the world takes over one’s heart, one will lose his enjoyment of the Father’s love and his desire to do the Father’s will. The Bible will become boring and prayer a difficult chore. Even Christian fellowship may seem empty and disappointing. It is not that there is something wrong with others, however—what is wrong is the Christian’s worldly heart.

Worldliness will put you together with all the God-haters of the world. The apostle James warned, “Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God” (James 4:4). The subtle existence of worldliness within the hearts of Christians is keeping them away from the Lord and His kingdom.

A look at most Christians today would tell us that they have much of the earth, and little of heaven. There are too many worldly “Christians”. Worldly Christians are not largehearted when it comes to the service of God; they are not willing to spend and be spent. They are hesitant and unaspiring in the things of God. They want to engage as little as possible in the work of God, and rest in their worldly comforts. They grudge and murmur about the labour, fatigue and expenses in the cause of Christ.

They cherish the company of worldly people more than Christians. They choose to stay away from fellowships, prayer meetings and other Christian activities. They prefer the respite and enjoyment of places of worldly fun and entertainment. They spend more of their time and money in the activities of the world, whether it be shopping, clubbing, watching TV and other entertainment. When the pursuit of the material world increases in their hearts, their delight in the things of God fades away.

Email From Pr Eliezer Ortega

Dear Pastor Koshy,

Praise the Lord for His never-ending love and care towards all of us. Thank God for His faithfulness upon The Gethsemane Care Ministry for the past three years. Just recently, we had a blessed and fruitful celebration of the 3rd anniversary thanksgiving service of The Gethsemane Care Ministry, Cebu, at the Care Ministry’s compound last Saturday, 6 October 2012.

Many loved ones and visitors of the residents came to rejoice with us. Church members and regular worshippers at the church also came to join us on this blessed occasion. All glory be to God for His marvellous works within our midst especially in the lives of the four residents. The residents gave their testimonies of how they had been blessed by the Lord through the ministry. We also presented a song item for the glory of the Lord. “O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk ye of all his wondrous works. Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD” (Psalm 105:1-3).

Praise the Lord for the preaching of God’s Word. Preacher Dominino preached from Romans 12:1-2. Thank God for His strengthening grace upon Pr Dominino whose powerful preaching had greatly blessed our hearts. On the outside, there is no trace that he is in that stage of his condition. All glory be to God who enables us to serve Him for His glory. After the thanksgiving service, we feasted on the scrumptious meal that the Lord provided.

On behalf of The Gethsemane Care Ministry, Cebu, please receive our heartfelt thanks to the mother church for her loving support to the ministry. Likewise, allow me to thank the mother ministry, The Gethsemane Care Ministry, Singapore, as well as the brethren in the church who support us in resources and in prayer.

I would like to thank God for the increase of my monthly support. I would like to thank you, Pastor, and the Session for giving me such increase. It will indeed go a long way for us in the family. On behalf of my family, my sincere thanks to all of you.

For the glory of our Saviour Jesus Christ,

Bro Eliezer Ortega

Testimony of an Octogenarian

Are you now entering the “Old Age Zone”? If you are 70 years old and above, you must thank God, for He is giving bonus years, more days of life to enjoy.

Now we have more time to praise and thank God and to read the Bible.

We have time to recall our past and see how God has helped us in times of trouble and discouragement, and also to count our blessings.

If we have things left undone but ought to be done, for example to correct our mistakes, to reconcile with those whom we have ill feelings, let’s do it now, don’t delay before it’s too late.

If you have yet to accept Jesus Christ as you Saviour, hurry; seek His throne of grace and repent and accept Him while there is time now, tomorrow may not come.

I greatly thank God for His goodness and mercy. All that I need is provided – food, clothing, shelter and more. He allows me to have more time to enjoy with my children and grandchildren, and also to have friends who are kind to invite me to Gethsemane Seniors’ Ministry though I’m a stranger here in Singapore.

God is so great and true and faithful to His word. I found this verse after my 80th birthday – “And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you” (Isaiah 46:4).

God is so great.

All glory be to our only True God through His Son, The Lord Jesus Christ. Amen

Rebecca Delina

(Eric Delina’s 81-year-old mum)
From Gethsemane Seniors’ Ministry

Pastoral Exhortation