1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Pastoral 2012

Coming To God In Prayer

PrintE-mail

Christians must rejoice being in the presence of God, praying and worshipping Him. To a great many people, prayer is an activity that they engage in when they are perplexed. It is not just ‘running to God for help’. Though it is important that we call on God in our troubles, the act of prayer is more than seeking His help to relieve us of our troubles.

I have heard some saying that “I don’t have anything to pray for. So I don’t pray regularly”. Prayer is not just uttering a few items of needs that we have.

In fact, even before we think of what to pray, we must consider whether we have the right to come to God in prayer at all. Even if one has many things to ask of God, if he is not readied and equipped by the Spirit and the Word, his prayers will not please the Lord.

The apostle Paul wrote: “I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting” (1 Timothy 2:8). It is important to note that this verse emphasises the manner of our coming to God in prayer rather than what we pray. If we know how to pray or how to approach God in prayer, we will know what to pray.

The first and foremost necessity in prayer is that we approach God’s presence in holiness. This is the emphasis of Paul’s words – “I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands.” The posture of lifting up our hands in prayer would not please the Lord. It is the “holy hands” that we are instructed to be lifted unto God. The words “holy hands” are indicative of one’s holy character. Spiritual purity must be the first concern of every Christian who approaches God in prayer. “Follow...holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord” (Hebrews 12:14).

Prayers offered without holiness is an abomination to the Lord. The Lord declared to the people of Israel, “And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil” (Isaiah 1:15-16). Proverbs 15:8 reminds us: “The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight.”

It is absolutely wrong to think that anyone, anywhere, at any time can call on the Lord and expect an answer from Him. “Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth” (John 9:31).

Secondly, we must approach God “without wrath”. The word “wrath” is not just a depiction of a violent burst of anger. It also refers to resentment and unpleasant feeling towards God’s will. It can also be indicative of our bitter, angry feelings and attitude towards others. So often when we approach God in prayer, we are guilty of a resentful spirit. How could we expect God to be gracious and forgiving to us when we are unwilling to forgive and be gracious to others? Our prayer must be: “Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us.”

Finally, we must pray “without doubting”. We must pray without doubting God’s existence, wisdom, power, faithfulness and promises. If we ever pray with doubt about God’s greatness and goodness, it is better that we stop praying. In such a state, our prayer is useless.

So let us make sure that when we draw near to the Lord, we come in holiness, submission, love and fullness of faith in Him. Only then our prayer shall be acceptable to Him. God is pleased to hear the request of a holy, humble and faithful Christian.

Radio which provides me with a constant source of godly Christian music and messages. Being a stay-at-home mum of two young children, I have little time for myself to read Christian literature but I thank God I can still “ feed myself spiritually” by listening to messages available via the Web Radio even when I am working on my chores. The Bible Witness Web Radio has been a channel of blessing to me. May the Lord continue to use the Bible Witness Web Radio to be a channel of blessing to many others.

Mummy A.

I would like to thank the Lord for using the Bible Witness magazines to encourage me and the friends around me. I like it that the various issues focus on particular subjects and these are discussed by various authors. One very meaningful one was the one that dealt with choosing a church. It came in handy when one of my friends was considering following her boyfriend to another church. Sometimes, I would just pass an issue to my friends who truly benefit from the articles. As a mother of four, I appreciate the children’s section and my oldest girl finds it interesting to read the colourful pages and illustrations that accompany the section. This ministry is truly a worthy one and I pray that God will continue to use this work to reach out to His people far and wide.

God bless.

Sara Wong

Thank God for using Pastor Koshy and his fellow workers to start the Bible Witness Media Ministry.

We are very thankful to God for all these godly and sound materials readily available to us especially to our children.

My children and I have been greatly blessed through:

1. Bible Witness Magazine

Whenever we receive the latest copy, my daughter and I will “fight” over it. I can’t wait to glance through the topics while she can’t wait to read the story of Jonathan Goforth.

2. Bible Witness Web Radio

Whenever my daughter is not in school, we like to tune in to BWWR during breakfast. We enjoy singing along with the godly hymns and she is very pleased that there is a special segment for children.

3. Bible Witness Musical

My daughter has grown up watching “The Scripture in Song”, “Christmas Musical” and “Fanny Crosby”. Now my 1-year-old son is watching them together with his sister.

4. Bible Witness CDs

“Search me, O God” and “He Keeps Me Singing” are 2 of the CDs that often accompany us on our drives.

5. Bible Witness Publications

”My Souls’ Delight” is indeed a great delight for family devotion. We can’t wait for volume 2!

6. Bible Witness Retreat

It has always been a blessed time of rest and feasting on God’s words.

It is our prayer that our God Almighty will enable His servants in BWMM to press on and help change the lives of both adults and children around the world!

All glory to God.

Mummy E.

Pastoral Exhortation