1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Pastoral 2012

Pastoral Exhortation

PrintE-mail

Dear Gethsemaneans,

9th Anniversary of the Chinese Service

Today, we give thanks to God for the 9th anniversary of our Chinese service. The Lord has been pleased to bless our efforts to preach the Gospel to our Chinese-speaking relatives and friends, and to gather them to worship the Lord.

Since 2009, in conjunction with the anniversary of the Chinese service, we have been conducting a Chinese Bible Conference every year. We thank God that many believers from our sister churches also came to hear the Word. We had the fourth conference yesterday, Rev Lee Kim Shong (Pastor of Calvary Jaya B-P Church, KL) being the preacher. He preached on the topic “Contending for the Faith”. This year, we had a very encouraging participation. 120 people have signed up a week before the conference.

Let us continue to uphold our Chinese preacher, Dn Daniel Lim, that his labour in the Word would bear much fruit. He also serves in Gethsemane Seniors’ Ministry, together with Pr Jeremiah Sim. Their efforts have helped to strengthen the faith of many of our Chinese-speaking old folks.

As we praise Him today for His bountiful blessings upon the Chinese congregation, let us also yield ourselves in joyful dedication to its ministries. Let us take heed to the counsel of the Lord in Psalm 100:2-5, “Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.”

7th Anniversary of The Gethsemane Care Ministry

On 9th August at 5 pm, there will be a special gathering to give thanks to God for 7 years of a very fruitful ministry of TGCM. There will be preaching of the Gospel and the testimonies of those who have been delivered from addiction and crime through TGCM’s Gospel efforts. This thanksgiving service is always held with an evangelistic perspective. So, you can bring your non-Christian friends as well to listen to the salvation testimonies and the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I urge all of you to come. Your presence will be a tremendous encouragement to this ministry. You can also reach out to the non-Christian family members and friends of the residents of TGCM whom we have invited to come. Come and bear witness of the Lord Jesus, our Great Saviour, to the participants. May our attitude be as that of the Apostle Paul who said in Romans 1:15, “So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.”

Words Used Sparingly

A wise man generally uses few words. In fact, Proverbs teaches us to use words sparingly and speak slowly.

“In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise” (Proverbs 10:19). Firstly, the verse warns us that constant talking will eventually lead us to sin and trouble. Secondly, it teaches us to avoid that danger by refraining our lips from uttering too many words.

The warning against chattering is repeated two other times in the same chapter. We read: “a prating fool shall fall” (Proverbs 10:8b and 10b). Likewise, Proverbs 11:12 says, “He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding holdeth his peace” (cf. James 3:2- 8). The Hebrew word for “despise” (bûz) can also mean “deride” or “belittle”. It often expresses the idea of speaking contemptuously of another. It makes no sense to deride one’s neighbour (one who lives or works in close proximity). Since this causes friction and dissension, it is wise to “hold his peace”. Divine wisdom highly recommends friendly silence rather than unwise ridicule.

Wisdom of silence is again mentioned in Proverbs 17:27-28 – “He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit. Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.” Proverbs also advises us to refrain from gossiping. “A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter” (Proverbs 11:13). This verse recommends prudent concealment, rather than spreading rumour. A friend who confides should not be betrayed by a talebearer. It is foolish and unrighteous to reveal what one has been entrusted with.

Proverbs also tells us that guarding one’s speech is self-protection: “Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles” (Proverbs 21:23). A man who guards his speech protects himself from many troubles that careless words would have brought to him. By a constant watchfulness over our words, we can avoid the many troubles of an ungoverned tongue.

Ask yourself before you lash out:

• Do I really have the facts? Are they conclusive? (Proverbs 15:2; 16:23)
  • Have I understood the other person correctly? (Proverbs 18:23)
  • Will what I say help or hurt? Is it profitable? (Proverbs 10:20, 21; 16:24; 20:15; 25:12)
  • Is this the proper time for me to say it? (Proverbs 15:23, 28; 25:11, 12)
  • Is my attitude right? (Proverbs 15:1; 15:18; 29:22)
  • Have I chosen the right words to say it? (Proverbs 12:25; 15:1; 16:23; 25:11).
  • Have I prayed about this matter? (Proverbs 3:5, 6; Nehemiah 2:4; Psalm 19:14).
  • Will what I say glorify the Lord? (Proverbs 3:7; 8:13; 12:22)

Pastoral Exhortation